Sunday, February 19, 2012

347

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have signed up to do Feb Fast and give my poor liver a break from my boozing.

So far it has been very successful. 18 days in and I haven't slipped, though there have been a couple of times where I just wanted to sit and have a beer by the river with my mates. But I know all too well that it wouldn't have stopped at just one, and I would have been horribly mad at myself for succumbing to a binge.

I avoided a couple of parties early in the month because I didn't think I had the resolve to control myself. I know myself far too well.

Last night I had a major success... I managed to stay out until 2am with all my friends being very drunk. I met new people, they liked me. I drank nothing but soda and lime all night. I still had fun. In fact I had the most fun I've had in ages.

So in this light, I am now committing myself to doing an entire year alcohol free.

That is 366 days without a drink.

I have been mulling over this idea for a few weeks - three different health professionals have mentioned it to me through my array of usual appointments I have. Its time I started taking these people seriously.

It's not going to be an easy feat - but I keep telling people 2012 is the year I challenge myself. And I can't think of a bigger challenge than this.

18 days down, 347 to go.